Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Truckin' - The Paris Washboard - Oldie But Goodie!


About a year ago I purchased the CD Truckin' by the Paris Washboard which was released in 1995. There are two things one can be certain of in Traditional Jazz recordings. If it is the Paris Washboard or if it is a Stomp Off CD it's going to be good! I basically only recently "discovered" the Paris Washboard after listening to my father George A. Borgman's half dozen albums of theirs he had. Then I decided to fill in the collection with ones that he didn't have!


What was so amazing was that all their CDs held up in the level of quality even though their sound sometimes changes from CD to CD. On this record Peter Eklund is put to good use with his added trumpet. In fact, I can't imagine not using him after listening to this CD! I've mentioned before that I'm not really a big fan of the tuba in the jazz setting but Gerard Gervois does an excellent job playing and fits in nicely. Listen to Winin' Boy Blues and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Definitely one of the top stride players of the ivories is Louis Mazetier who is always put to good use and is sometimes given a solo piece as on F Minor Stride, which is just fantastic.

Truckin' isn't quite as hectic as California Here We Come but it is still done to perfection. How anyone couldn't like this record, I don't know.

They have another CD which came out in May of last year 2013 entitled, Swinging Castle - Paris Washboard in Concert.



Here is the Paris Washboard playing Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives To Me. - Dixieland Jazz Festival in San Diego, November 25, 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment