Saturday, July 12, 2014

Jazz Performance Saturday! "Bei Mir Bistu Shein" - By a Russian Dixieland Band!

Here is an unusual performance which I was unable to learn very much about. All I could find out is that this is a Russian jazz band playing Bei Mir Bistu Shein at an unknown jazz festival.

The uploader called it "Moscow Dixieland jazz." Using an automatic translator, I believe the members of the band may be, A. Loshakov I. Pankratov A. Volkov V.  Rodionov and A. Alhasyants.

If anyone has any information they can add regarding this group, please feel free to let us know.

The song being played Bei Mir Bist du Shein also known by the German title Bei Mir Bist du Schön, was written by Sholom Secunda and Jacob Jacobs in 1932 for a Yiddish musical comedy I Would if I Could.

But it wasn't until Sammy Cahn and Saul Chaplin rewrote the lyrics in English in 1937 that the song took off, with the Andrew Sisters recording it that November. The tunes popularity made it's way around the world!


Dixieland Russian style!

No comments:

Post a Comment